Thursday, August 15, 2013

Who are these Farm Mums?


I’m Emma, also 33 and UK Farm Mum of Elizabeth who is 2. I am wife to Gerald the farmer and we live on a 300 acre farm in Culcheth, near Warrington in North West of England (about half way between Manchester and Liverpool).

We had about 300 cows which my husband reared for beef but we are down to 70 now and looking into diversifying into other areas. We have 300 sheep and I too have forayed into the chicken keeping but what with fox attacks, my chicken breeding programme has been put on hold and I am now just keeping them, like Katie, for the family (once you have fresh eggs it is hard to go back to the anaemic shop bought ones).

My husband makes haylage and silage for feed and bales other people’s straw for bedding for the winter.

I work two days a week as the features editor of a religious newspaper, oh and, despite many pleas for conversion, I am a vegetarian-no cow goes past my lips-you can imagine the heated discussions in our house.

The Gorky’s and Lander’s are two households on opposite sides of the Atlantic, both trying to earn a living and have a wonderful life in this unpredictable world of farming.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment